The dirty, dirty truth & surviving Monday! Part 1

OK, until I figure out a way to add pages on this thing, everything will have to go in one place.

I'm going to talk about something many people with a mental illness feel embarrassed about - hygiene.

As it stands it has been 3 weeks since I last showered, brushed my teeth or brushed my hair. I've been in the same clothes for 3 days and I also slept in them last night too.

Disgusting?
Probably.
Do I care?
Nope!

If you looked at me, you wouldn't say I was dirty. Maybe the hair might give it a way a little (hurrah for dry shampoo!) but other than that, I look "normal". In all honesty I spend pretty much 24 hours in my flat and I don't do much to get into a sweat.

Unmotivated?
Probably.
Lazy?
Most certainly not!

It's not that I don't want to bathe, I really do! I love the feeling of a shower or a bath just washing away my day. However, when the shower looks like Everest and the bathroom feels like over stuffed suitcase, it's hard to stay calm in that environment.

There's lots of things you can try if you're having trouble bathing (I feel like a hypocrite right now, sorry!)


  1. Soothing music
  2. Keeping the bathroom door open
  3. Candles
  4. Essential oils
  5. If you have a partner, having them sit on the floor talking to you can also help.
My best piece of advice would be - if you can't face it, don't bother *cue the gasps!*
What did you say? Your body is a temple, cleanliness is next to godliness etc etc.

Just
Don't
Bother

So you've not bathed in a couple of days? So what!
You didn't brush your teeth last night? Who cares?
You're wearing the same underwear for 2 days straight? Rock on!

Taking into consideration everything that causes you stress, anxiety, mood changes and heart crushing palpitations on a daily basis, it's understandable and perfectly reasonable that you'd be exhausted come the evening.
Maybe a shower or a bath symbolises going out. If you're having trouble leaving your home, its completely understandable as to why the thought of bathing fills you with dread.

If you can't do it today, don't worry.
If you can't do it tomorrow, don't worry!

Take baby steps and don't just rush into having a full blown bath or shower if its causing you so much stress.
Perhaps try sitting in the bathroom for a few minutes one day.
Next time, sit in the bathroom, put the plug in and turn the water on.
The time after that, repeat the above and try putting your hand or a foot in the water.
Build it up at a level you're comfortable with, don't rush. I've found that if I try to take on too much, I fail and I lose the momentum. Next thing I know, I hate the world and all it stands for.

You've got this, just take your time!

Leah x


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Black Dog" depression