Mental health and returning to work

After losing my benefits and being found 'fit for work' by the wonderful DWP (department of work and pensions), I'm now having to find full time work despite 50 pages of medical history, 2 supporting letters from 2 separate doctors and a letter from my health visitor.

As I like to keep my blog unpolitical, I've decided to write about working when you have mental health problems rather than the demoralising and unjust work capability assessments sick and disabled people are forced to have in the UK.

*and breathe*

According to the Mental Health Foundation mental illness is the leading cause of absence in the workplace. For most people returning to work, bullying, having to go back to work too soon and exacerbation of their mental illness plays an important factor when deciding to return to work.

So what do we do if we have no choice but to go back to work due to loss of finances?

From my personal perspective, I think the only thing we can do is try, but with people fearing the consequences of mentioning they have a mental illness or being discriminated against, it does become a bit daunting.

I've been in this position myself, a previous employer told me she was unsure of hiring me when I mentioned I had anxiety and depression. Now, I don't mention it if I'm asked.

I've always found that there are benefits to working if you have a mental illness. I personally find that the routine of working makes me feel better. Being surrounded by people also has its benefits as it forces me to talk to people.

There's also evidence to suggest that working is good for your mental health. It's just hard to see the evidence when your depression leaves you with no moral, or your anxiety makes it feel as though you're going to panic as soon as you leave your home.

I think it's important to figure out what type of work would be right for you. I loved working in the care sector, however I'm unable to do that type of work right now (even though I'll have to next year for my Uni studies). So for now, I'm applying for reception and admin work. I'm also trying to find work I can do from home and hopefully if I keep up with the blog, this can become a source of income for me in the future.

I aso believe volunteering can be a great path way into paid employment. So many places are needing people to volunteer that there is such a wide option to choose from. It also doesn't require a 30+ hour a week commitment and can lead to a job with the company you're volunteering in.

I just wish there was more help for people wanting or needing to return to work.

Leah

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Black Dog" depression